Historical Plaques of
Peterborough County

Use this menu to check for a specific Category

Use this menu to check for a specific County


The next 2 plaques were sent in by Karen Russell

PLAQUE #1

Location: Lang, Ontario

THE LANG MILL

In 1846, Thomas Short, later member of the Parliament of Canada for Peterborough County, erected this stone flour mill here on the Indian River. Within five years he had built a sawmill across the river and had laid out a village plot named Allandale. By 1858, the Allandale Flour Mill, which now also housed an oatmeal mill, had become one of the largest in the region and was exporting large quantities of its products. Short encountered financial difficulties however, and lost possesion of the mill in 1862. The village and the mill were re-named Lang after William Lang about 1872. The mill, whose interior was rebuilt by W.J.Humphries after a fire in 1896, continued in operation until 1965 when it was purchased by the Otonabee Region Conservation Authority.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Ministry of Colleges and Universities

PLAQUE #2

Location: Outside the Lang Pioneer Museum, Lang, Ontario

RED FIFE WHEAT, an early maturing high quality variety, was discovered in 1842 by David Fife in an experimental plot on his farm here. For over 60 years, it was "spring wheat" in Canada. It opened up the grain potential of the west, and is a parent of the famous Marquis Wheat.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

Many thanks to David Millage, host of the Peterborough County GenSearch page for allowing me to use the text from his site
to create the next 27 plaques. For more on the Peter Robinson settlers and complete passenger listings of the 9 ships that came
from County Cork, Ireland to the Counties of Peterborough and Victoria please click on the link above.

PLAQUE #3

Located in Victoria Park on the east side of Water Street between Brock and Murray Streets, Peterborough. Plaque unveiled September 27,1958

THE ROBINSON SETTLEMENT

1825

In an effort to alleviate poverty and unemployment in Ireland, the British government in 1825 sponsored a settlement of Irish emigration in the Newcastle District of Upper Canada. Peter Robinson, later the province's Commissioner of Crown Lands, was appointed superintendant and in May 2024 persons sailed from Cork. A few settled elsewhere and disease thinned their numbers but by September the remained were gathered in temporary shelters on the the site of Peterborough. Under Robinson's supervision, free rations were distributed until Novermber 1826, cabins were erected and 1878 settlers successfully established in the Peterborough region.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board

PLAQUE #4

Location: In front of the courthouse on the east side of Spurway Place
between Brock St. and Murray St., Peterborough

DISTRICT COURT HOUSE & JAIL

In 1838 the District of Colborne was established and Peterborough selected as the "district town". In June of that same year, the district magistrates, with the Hon. Thomas Stewart presiding, authorized the construction of a court house and jail. Joseph Scobell's plans for the buildings were accepted and the foundation stone was laid by Sir George Arthur, Lieutenant-Governor of Upper Canada, on August 25,1838. At a cost of over £7000, the court house was completed in 1840 and the jail in 1842 with stone quarried from Jackson's Park, adding to the community structures of notable size and design.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board

PLAQUE #5

Location: On the north side of Hunter St., just east of Water St., Peterborough

ST. JOHN'S CHURCH - 1834
An Anglican conregation was formed in Peterborough by the Rev. Samuel Armour in 1826. Services were held in a schoolhouse until the building of St. John's which was begun in 1834 and opened in the summer of 1836. Designed by Joseph Scobell and assisted by financial contributions from Engalnd and Ireland, it is a fine example of Early English Gothic Revival architecture. In 1882 it was extensively renovated. The first rector was the Rev. R. H. D'Olier, a native of Dublin, Ireland who served until 1835. St. John's is the oldest remaining church in Peterborough County and has been in continuous use since its opening.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board

PLAQUE #6

Location: On the south-east corner of Water and Simcoe Streets, Peterborough

GOVERNMENT HOUSE - 1825
On this site stood in 1825 Government House. Log dwelling and office of Peter Robinson. In that 2204 Irish immigrants were assisted in settling here by the British Government. From that time the settlement was known as Peterborough.
Peterborough Hisorical Society, September 1956.

PLAQUE #7


Location:

SESQUICENTENNIAL OF ARRIVAL OF ROBINSON SETTLERS
This plaque erected in honour of nearly 2000 Irish settlers who sailed from Cork Harbour, under the leadership of the Honourable Peter Robinson, and arrived in this area in the Autun of 1825, settling in the Town of Peterborough and the surronding townships.

PLAQUE #8


Location: On the east side of Water Street, north of King Street, Peterborough

SCOTT MILLS 1820
Near this site, in 1820, the community's first resident Adam Scott (1796-1838) built a sawmill adn grist-mill. The small settlement which grew around them wsa known as Scott's Plains until 1826 when it was renamed in honour of Peter Robinson. Although of primitive construction, the mills were of great benefit to the early settlers including the Irish emigrants brought out by Robinson in 1827, and 1835, they were destroyed by fire.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board

PLAQUE #9

Location: Scott Plains Park, Peterborough

ISABELLA VALANCY CRAWFORD 1850-1887
Irish-born, Isabella Crawford came to Canada as a young girl and eventually settled in Peterborough. Following her father's death in 1875 she supported her family through writing and published articles, ficiton and poetry in Toronto and New York journals. She later moved to Toronto to further her career and there gained modest success. Althouhg largley unknown in the short lifetime, her reputation has steadely grown so that she is considered to be one of the finest Canadian poets of her generation. She is best remembered for her long poems "Malconlin's Katie" and "Old Spookses' Pass.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #10

Location: On the north side of Brock St. between
Bethune St. and Stewart St., Peterborough

THE HUTCHINSON HOUSE 1837
This stone house, completed by February, 1837, was first occupied by Dr. John Hutchinson, Peterborough's first permanetly established physician. A native of Kircaldy, Scotland, Hutchinson had come to Upper Canada by 1818 and practised in the Rice Lake area and at Port Hope before moving to Peterborough in 1830. Already a magistrate, he became one of the settlement's leading citizens. The house is believed to have been built by volunteer labour and public subscription to induce him to stay in Peterborough. During an epidemic in 1847, Dr. Hutchinson contracted typhus while attending sick immigrants and was one of thiry-three victims in Peterborough. In 1969 the house was bequeathed to the Peterborough Historical Society.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites,
Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario

PLAQUE #11

Location: In Fleming Park, west side of Alymer Street between
Brock and Hunter Streets, Peterborough

SIR SANDFORD FLEMING 1827-1915
Inventor of standard time and pioneer in world communications, Fleming was born in Kircaldy, Scotland and trained in engineering and surveying before emigrating to Canada and settling in Peterborough in 1845. He soon moved to Toronto where in 1849 he assisted in the founding of the Canadian Institute and two years later designed the first Canadian postage stamp. He was the builder of the Intercolnial Railway and as chief engineer of the Canadian Pacific Railway (1871-1887) conducted surveys of a transcontinental route. His proposal, presented to the Canadian Institute in 1879, outlining a world-wide uniform system for reckoning time and his advocacy of a cable route linking Canada and Australia earned Fleming universal recognition. He was knighted in 1897.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Archives of Ontario

PLAQUE #12

Location: On the NE corner of Hunter St. and Reid St., Peterborough

THE CATHEDRAL OF ST. PETER-IN-CHAINS
The parish of St. Peter-in-Chains was established in 1826 to serve the large Irish Catholic population of the surrounding Robinson Settlement. This building, erected in 1837-1838 of stone from nearby Jackson's Creek, is one of the oldest remaining Catholic churches in Ontario. Reportedly designed by the Toronto architect James Chevette, it follows the modified Gothic Revival style popular in Upper Canada during the period. In 1882 when the Diocese of Peterborough was erected St. Peter's became a cathedral. Two years later it was extensively renovated and enlarged under its first Bishop, Jean Francois Jamot. Although altered on various occasions most notably by the addition of a fifth bay to the nave in 1967, St. Peter-in-Chains has retained its original elegance and imposing form.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PLAQUE #13

Location: On the NW corner of Rubidge St. and Hall St.,
1 block north of Hunter St., Peterborough

THE GROVER - NICHOLLS HOUSE
An outstnding example of Greek Revival architecture modified in the Palladian manner, it was begun about 1847 by P. M. Grover, a well-to-do local merchant. A type of building rare in Ontario, it was probably inspired by a "design for a villa" appearing in Minard Lafever's "Modern Builders Guide", 1833. The square pillars of this house are a classical Greek feature popular in North America principally because they were less costly to build than round columns. Robert Nicholls acquired the property in 1851, and it remained in his family, distinguished in Peterborough for public service and philanthropy, until 1906. Here the local Masonic Lodge held its meetings in 1849-53 and in 1950 the Masons purchased this imposing house.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario

PLAQUE #14

Location: On the north side of Brock Street, west of George Srteet, Peterborough. Note: The skeletal remain
are now in a case, arranged as found, in a simulated grave at the Peterborough Centenial Museum

THE BROCK STREET BURIAL
Here on December 6, 1960, the skeletal remains of a man who lived in this area about 2000 years ago were discovered by Douglas Yaxley of Peterborough. Buried with the man were twenty-nine artifacts attributed to the Point Penninsula culture which occupied the Trent River system before the Christian era.

PLAQUE #15

Location: At Thomas A. Stewart Secondary School, Armour Road. N., Peterborough

THOMAS AND FRANCES STEWART
In 1822 the Stewart family emigrated from County Antrim, Ireland, to Upper Canada and the following year they began to farm this land on the Otonabee River. Thomas A. Stewart (1786-1847) served as justice of the peace and member of the Legislative Council and through his public service he played a significant role there in Peterborough's early development. His wife Frances (1794-1872) wrote a series of detailed and highly descriptive letters concerning the life and early growth of the Peterborough region. These were published in 1889 under the title "Our Forest Home". Invaluable as an historical record, they provide a vivid account of a pioneer community in the early 1800's.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario

PLAQUE #16


Location: In Confederation Park, George Street, Peterborough

THE EDWARD T. BROWNE - BATOCHE MONUMENT
Batoche - 1885 - Fishcreek: A tribute to the Canadian volunteers and to the memory of Capt. Edward T. Brown, of Boulton's Scouts, a native of this county who fell at Batoche on May 12th, 1885.

PLAQUE #17

Location: At the Peterborough Lift Lock, Hunter Street East, Peterborough

THE PETERBOROUGH LIFT LOCK
Opened in 1904, with a lift of 19.8 meters, this is the highest hydraulic lift lock in the world and the first of two built in North America, both on the Trent-Severn Waterway. It operates on a balance principle. A constant water pressure supports each ram through connecting pipes below ground. When extra water is let into the upper chamber, a connecting valve is opened and the heavier chamber automatically descends forcing up the lower chamber to sart a new cycle. Among innovations on this lift were the use of concrete, air-filled seals, drop gates and cast steel presses for the rams.

PLAQUE #18

Location: At Trent University, Water Street N., Peterborough

TRENT UNIVERSITY
In 1957 public-spirited residents of Peterborough formed a Citizens' Committee to examine the possibility of creating a University to serve the Trent Valley. By letters patent of August 9, 1960, this committee became Trent College Limited and in the following year, a group of academic advisers under the chairmanship of President-designate T. H. B. Symons, organized the university's Academic Planning Committee. A provincial charter of 1963 established Trent as a degree granting university which admitted its first students in September, 1964. That year the renovation of Rubige Hall and the creation of Robinson and Traill Colleges gave Trent a downtown campus. The opening of Champlain College (1967) and Lady Eaton College (1968) marked the beginning of the main campus.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Recreation

PLAQUE #19

Location: At the Peterborough Riverview Park and Zoo, Water Street N., Peterborough

ROYAL CANADIAN AIR FORCE ASSOCIATION, 428 WING
Citizens, remember that in another time, young men became Airmen to fly in foreign and hostile skies. Many returned, some did not. Those who died are remembered by those who live. Erected in memory of All Airmen of Peterborough and District by 428 Wing, Royal Canadian Air Force Association, June 5, 1971.

PLAQUE #20

Location: On the north side of Smith St. east of Clementi St.,
1 block north of Bridge St., Lakefield

CATHERINE PARR TRAILL 1802 - 1899
A member of the literarry Strickland family, the talented author married Lieut. Thomas Traill and emigrated to Upper Canada in 1832. For seven years they struggled unsuccessfully to establish a profitable farm on bushland in Douro Township. Subsequently, they lived at Ashburnham and Rice Lake. In 1862, following her husband's death, Mrs. Traill's daughters purchased "Westove" and she lived here the rest of her life. Her best known book, "The Backwoods of Canada" is based on her pioneering experiences. In her "Studies of Plant Life in Canada" and other works she proved herself a gifted botanist.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board

PLAQUE #21

Location: At Young's Point

CATHERINE PARR TRAILL 1802 - 1899
Born in London, Catherine Strickland married Lieutenant Thomas Traill in 1832 and emigrated to Upper Canada, settling in Douro Township and subsequently Lakefield. A writer of children's stories and a frequent contributor to the "Literary Garland", her most famous work was "The Backwoods of Canada" (1836) consisting of letters to her mother portraying the hardships of the pioneer life she loved so much. Her work as a naturalist bore fruit in "Canada Wild Flowers" (1868) and "Studies of Plant Life in Canada" (1885)

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #22

Location: At Young's Point

YOUNGS POINT
To commemorate the founding of Young's Point by Frances Young and family who located here August 1825 from Tipperary Ireland. The Young family - William, John, Sammuel, Frank, Robert, Patrick, Mathew, Nora, Elizabeth.

PLAQUE #23

Location: On the east side of Water St. at the Otonabee River bridge, Lakefield

SUSANNA MOODIE 1883 - 1885
This talented writer, the wife of a retired British army officer, emigrated with her husband and daughter to Upper Canada in 1832. In 1834 they moved to a nearby farm lot to be near her brother, Sameul Strickland, and her sister Catherine Parr Traill. The following six years of unsuccessful effort to develop a wilderness property provided the theme for her best-known work "Roughing it in the Bush". In 1840 they moved to Belleville. There the Moodies edited and were principal contributors to the short lived "Victorian Magazine" and Susanna wrote many novles and poems. Her contributions were for years the mainstay of "The Literary Garland", a Montreal publication.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario

PLAQUE #24

Location: At Christ Church, on the west side of Queen St., north of Reid St., Lakefield

COL. SAMUEL STRICKLAND 1804 - 1867
This church was built in 1853 principally through the efforts of Samuel Strickland. A member of an English family which included several successful authors, he emigrated to Upper Canada (now Ontario) in 1825. After farming in Otonabee Township he served with the Canada Company 1823-31 as a superintendant of settlement. In 1831 he became one of Douro's earliest settlers, and later established a school there for the training of persons interested in pioneer farming. His book "Twenty-seven Years in Canada West" is of unique value, since it is an educated person's record of a lifetime spent on the agricultural frontier. Col. Strickland is buried in this church yard.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Ministry of Colleges and Universities

PLAQUE #25

Location: On Highway 7 east of Peterborough

THE STORY OF RED FIFE WHEAT
David Fife, desiring to improve the quality of Canadian wheat, requested and recieved from a friend some new wheat samples from a Baltic ship docked in Glasgow, Scotland. In the spring of 1841 the samples obtained by Mr. Fife were sown by he and his wife, Jane on the forth concession of Otonabee. The sample had contained both a spring and fall variety, only the spring sample survived and proved superior to any other kind grown. The rust resistant Red Fife Wheat was grown in the west and for 50 years remained the undisputed strain until it was crossed with another strain of wheat to produce the early maturing Marquis whish became the basic wheat to be grown in North America.

PLAQUE #26

Location: At Serpent Mounds Provincial Park

THE SERPENT MOUNDS
The principal mound of this group is the only known example in Canada of a mound of serpentine shape. The earliest archeological excavation on the site was carried out by David Boyle in 1896. Artifacats and skelatal remains were discovered but the first comprehensive investigation was not started until 1955. The mounds, somewhat similar to those of the Ohio Valley, appear to have been built while the region was occupied by Indians of the Point Penesula culture, and are thought to have been religious or ceremonial in nature. Numerous burials have been found in the mounds which are estimated to have been constructed about the second century A.D.

Ontario Heritage Foundation

PLAQUE #27

Location: At the Warsaw Public School, Warsaw

GEORGE ARUNDEL HILL 1796 - 1861
Born in County Limerick, Ireland, Commissioned Ensign 1815 in 27th Inniskilling Regement of Foot, during the Napoleonic War. With wife and 3 children sailed from Limerick in May 1831. Became a pioneer settler in Township Dummer. In 1841, appointed Warden of the Distric of Colborne by the government. Subsequently elected warden for four successive years." "1834 - Author of "A Guide for Emigrants from the British Shores to the Woods of Canada". He was an author of numerous tracts, poems and prose for the Coborg Star." "1851-61 Was clerk of the Townships of Dummer and Burleigh. For seven years was superintendent of schools in Summer."

PLAQUE #28

Location: At the Peterborough Petroglyphs Provincial Park

PETERBOROUGH PETROGLYPHS
Situated on an outcrop of white marble on the Canadian Shield, the Peterborough Pertoglyph site is one of the largest know concentrations of prehistoric rock carvings in Canada. Several hundred images comprising a wide variety of realistic animal and human forms, as wells as abstract and sybolic representations give evidence of the spiritual and intellectual life of the Algonquin Indians who carved them between 900 - 1400 AD. This site is a sacred place and a monument to the artistic ability and senstitivity.

PLAQUE #29

Location: In Baileboro, on the east side of Scriven Road, street number 67,
south of County Road 2, 1 concession east of County Road 28

JOSEPH MEDLICOTT SCRIVEN 1819 -1886
Born and educated in Ireland, Scriven was a graduate of Trinity College, Dublin. He emigrated to Canada in 1847 and during the 1850's became tutor to the family of Capt. Robert L. Pengelley, R.N, a retired British Naval Officer who had settled in this vicinty. A deeply religiuos man, he published a book entitled "Hyms and Other Verses", 1869. However the poem entitled "Pray Without Ceasing", for which he was to become famous, was frist published in a local newspaper. Set to music by Dr. Charles C. Canvers, it gained international recognition under the title "What a Friend We Have in Jesus".

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario

The next plaque was sent in by Mike Blamire

PLAQUE #30

Location: The Harvey Township Public Library, Buckhorn

UNION SCHOOL - SECTION NO. 5 - HARVEY TOWNSHIP

1866 - 1972

THIS MEMORIAL MARKS THE SOUTH EAST CORNER OF THE ORIGINAL ONE-ROOM SCHOOL ERECTED ON THIS SITE CIRCA 1905 TO SERVE S.S. NO. 5, TOWNSHIP OF HARVEY AND SMITH TOWNSHIP RESIDENTS OF BUCKHORN. THE ADDITION OF A SECOND CLASSROOM ONTO THE EAST WALL IN 1930 MADE IT THE ONLY TWO-ROOM SCHOOL BUILT IN THE TOWNSHIP. IT SERVED IN THAT CAPACITY UNTIL DECEMBER 1972. THE BUILDING WAS DESIGNATED IN 1975, AS A COMMUNITY RECREATION CENTRE. IN 1983 IT WAS COMMISSIONED TO ALSO HOUSE THE HARVEY TOWNSHIP PUBLIC LIBRARY.

PLACED JULY 16, 1994 BY THE GREATER HARVEY HISTORICAL SOCIETY

The next plaque was sent in by Ken Armstrong

PLAQUE #31

Location: On the grounds of Adam Scott Collegiate and Vocational Institute,
Hilliard Street, Peterborough.

ADAM SCOTT
This plaque commemorates the region's first mill, established by Adam Scott in 1820. Scott was the first settler in this community, known initially as Scott's Plains. The authentically reproduced millstone, dedicated on Nov.2,1991, was a gift of the graduating students of Adam Scott Collegiate and Vocational School.

Erected by the Students' Council with the assistance of the Ontario Heritage Foundation

PLAQUE #32

Location: 332-344 Rubidge Street, between Simcoe and Charlotte Sts., Peterborough

COX TERRACE
An elegant example of a residential terrace in the Second Empire style, Cox Terrace was constructed in 1884, during a time of prosperity and rapid urban growth in Peterborough. In this row of houses, inspired by British models, seven dwellings are skilfully unified behind one façade with three projecting pavilions. Mansard roofs, dormers, and oriel windows give life to the distinctive design. The terrace was built for Sir George Cox, one of the wealthiest and most influential Canadian businessmen of the period.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #33

Location: On the north side of Murray St. between Aylmer and George Sts., Peterborough

THE PETERBOROUGH ARMOURY
Riding a wave of national pride and military enthusiasm following the South African War (1899-1902), the Canadian government embarked on a major reform of the nation's defence system. The new programme included an expanded and upgraded militia and the construction of new armouries across the country. The Peterborough Armoury (1907-1909), recalling a Romanesque fortress in its turrets, arched troop doors and crenellated roof line, is one of the largest and best designed examples from this period. It is home to the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment of the Canadian Armed Forces (Reserve).

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #34

Location: At the east end of Hunter St. E. at the lift lock behind the visitor centre, Peterborough

THE PETERBOROUGH LIFT LOCK
Opened in 1904, with a lift of 19.8 meters, this is the highest hydraulic lift lock in the world and the first of two built in North America, both on the Trent-Severn Waterway. It operates on a balance principle. A constant water pressure supports each ram through connecting pipes below ground. When extra water is let into the upper chamber, a connecting valve is opened and the heavier chamber automatically descends forcing up the lower chamber to start a new cycle. Among innovations on this lift were the use of concrete, air-filled seals, drop gates, and cast-steel presses for the rams.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #35

Location: Beside the entrance to the enclosed petroglyph area in Petroglyphs Provincial Park
21 km east of Burleigh Falls via Roads 28 and 56 (Northey's Bay Road)

PETERBOROUGH PETROGLYPHS
Situated on an outcrop of white marble on the Canadian Shield, the Peterborough Petroglyphs site is one of the largest known concentrations of prehistoric rock carvings in Canada. Several hundred images comprising a wide variety of realistic animal and human forms, as well as abstract and symbolic representations give evidence of the spiritual and intellectual life of the Algonkian Indians who carved them between A.D. 900 - 1400. This site is a sacred place.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #36

Location: In Serpent Mounds Park, south of Keene, at the southern end of
Heritage Line/Serpent Mounds Road (Road 34)

SERPENT MOUNDS
Two thousand years ago, Aboriginal people gathered nearby in large settlements in spring and summer to hunt, fish and collect freshwater mussels. Here, for over three centuries, these people built mounds to bury and revere their dead. These nine mounds and other closely related sites provide an exceptionally complete record of life at that time. The mound shaped like a serpent, the only one of its kind in Canada, is over 60 metres long and almost eight metres wide. Mississauga people of this area are now the proud stewards of these ancient sites.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

COUNTY PAGE

PLAQUE INDEX

HOME PAGE