Historical Plaques of
Hastings County

Use this menu to check for a specific Category

Use this menu to check for a specific County


The next 2 plaques were sent in by Liz Woloski

PLAQUE #1


Location: Belleville

CAPT. JOHN WALDEN MEYERS

1745 - 1821

Born in Albany County, New York, Meyers served with the Loyalist forces during the American Revolution and in 1782 was appointed a captain in the Loyal Rangers (Jessup's Corps). Immediately following the war, he settled in the Richelieu Valley, and in 1787 moved to Sidney Township. Some three years later he purchased land in Thurlow Township near the mouth of the Moira River. Here he built a sawmill and grist-mill around which grew a settlement known as Meyers' Creek. In 1816 it was renamed Belleville in honour of Arabella the wife of Lieutenant-Governor Francis Gore.

Erected by the Ontario Archaelogical Historic Sites Board

PLAQUE #2


Location: Belleville

CAPTAIN JOHN WALDEN MEYERS
Born Jan. 22nd. 1745 - Died Nov. 22nd 1821 Was a Loyalist who served during the American Revolution often carrying despatches from New York to Quebec.
Sidney and Thurlow Townships became his residence from 1787 on.
He built the first brick house in Upper Canada in 1794.
The Indians knew it as "The Meyers Castle."
He operated batteaux on the Bay of Quinte and the St. Lawrence andtraded with the Indians.
He was the Master of the first Masonic Lodge and the founder of Belleville and operated the first grist and lumber mills on the Moira.

Erected by the descendants of Captain John Walden Meyers, U.E.,
co-founder of the Parish of St. Thomas' Anglican Church, Belleville

The next 13 plaques were sent in by Mike Blamire

PLAQUE #3


Location: College Hill United Church, 16 North Park St., Belleville

ALBERT COLLEGE
In 1854 the Methodist Episcopal Church, recognizing the need to improve the training of its clergy, began the construction of a seminary on this site. Designed to accommodate 150 residents with classroom facilities for 400 students. Belleville Seminary was opened in July 1857. Under the able direction of its principal, Reverend Albert Carman, the school flourished, producing several eminent graduates. In 1866 it was rechartered as Albert College, an affiliate of the university of Toronto, and five years later it became an independent degree-granting institution. When Victoria College in Cobourg was chosen as official university for the newly-formed Methodist Church in 1884, Albert College became a private collegiate. Moved in 1926 to the present location overlooking the Bay of Quinte, it remains a distinguished residential school.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PLAQUE #4


Location: The former site of Tabernacle United Church,
Nicholson Catholic College, 301 Church St., Belleville

ALBERT CARMAN 1833 - 1917
A commanding figure in Canadian Methodism during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Carman was born in Iroquois and educated at Victoria College, Cobourg. He worked briefly as a teacher and was then appointed principal of Belleville Seminary, later Albert College, in 1858. A masterful administrator and, after entering the Methodist Episcopal ministry, a militant advocate for Methodist education, Carman spearheaded the successful development of this Methodist school during his 17-year term there. Following his election as a Bishop in 1874, he gained increasing prominence in church affairs, particularly as an ardent supporter of union among the Methodist denominations. When union was achieved in 1884, Carman became a General Superintendent of the Methodist Church, a post he held until his retirement in 1914.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Communications

PLAQUE #5


Location: Bridge Street United Church, 60 Bridge St. E, Belleville

FORMATION OF THE METHODIST CHURCH
(CANADA, NEWFOUNDLAND, BERMUDA) 1884
The largest Protestant denomination in Canada during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, the Methodist Church (Canada, Newfoundland, Bermuda) was established in 1884. Its formation marked the culmination of a long series of mergers between groups of British and American origin. The first broad union occurred in 1874 when three denominations, amalgamations of smaller groups, joined to form the Methodist Church of Canada. Nine years later, at meetings held in Belleville, union of all mainline Methodists was proposed. After intense debate, delegates representing the Methodist Episcopal Church in Canada, the Bible Christian Church of Canada, the Primitive Methodist Church in Canada and the Methodist Church of Canada approved the merger and on July 1, 1884 the Methodist Church (Canada, Newfoundland, Bermuda) was officially established.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PLAQUE #6


Location: The Sir James Whitney School, 350 Dundas St. W., Belleville

THE ONTARIO SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
In 1869, at the urging of John B. McGann, a pioneer educator of the hearing impaired, the Ontario government sanctioned the establishment of the first provincial school for deaf children. A residential institution combining elementary school instruction with vocational training, the Ontario Institution for the Education of the Deaf and Dumb was officially opened in October 1870. Increasing enrolment during the following decades led to steady expansion and improvement of facilities. When curricula were revised and advanced academic instruction introduced during the tenure of Dr. Charles B. Coughlin (1906-28), the school gained wide recognition for its contributions to special education. Renamed the Ontario School for the Deaf in 1913, it became the Sir James Whitney School in 1974 in honour of Ontario’s sixth prime minister.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PLAQUE #7


Location: The Sir James Whitney School, 350 Dundas St. W., Belleville

SAMUEL THOMAS GREENE

1843 - 1890

Samuel Greene was the first deaf teacher in the Ontario school system. An American by birth, he was educated at the National Deaf-Mute College, now Gallaudet University, in Washington, D. C. After graduating in 1870, he came to teach at the new provincial school for the deaf in Belleville (later Sir James Whitney School). Believing that the education of deaf children should be based on solid language skills, Greene devised a progressive and highly successful method of teaching that used sign language and written English. Co-founder and first president of the Ontario Association of the deaf, he was renowned for his eloquent public addresses and poetry recitations in sign language.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture, Tourism and Recreation

PLAQUE #8


Location: Former home, 194 William St., Belleville

SIR MACKENZIE BOWELL, K.C.M.G. 1823-1917
The fifth Prime Minister of Canada, Bowell was born in Suffolk, England and came to Belleville with his parents in 1833. Apprenticed as a printer at the Intelligencer, he advanced quickly, becoming the newspaper’s editor and proprietor by 1850. Bowell also gained prominence in the Orange Order, a formidable political force in 19th century Canada, and was elected to the first Dominion Parliament in 1867 as Conservative member for North Hastings. During a long and distinguished public career in which he represented this area for 25 years, Bowell held various ministerial posts. Following the sudden death of Sir John Thompson, he served as Prime Minister (1894-1896). Knighted in 1895, Bowell devoted his final years to journalistic and business activities in Belleville.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PLAQUE #9


Location: City Hall, 169 Front St., Belleville

BELLEVILLE CITY HALL
This imposing structure was erected in 1872-73 to house the public market and administrative offices of the rapidly expanding municipality of Belleville. It was designed by John Evans, a local architect, and constructed by contractor, John Forin. A fine example of High Victorian architecture, the handsome brick and limestone structure was built as an expression of civic pride and confidence in the future. It is distinguished by tall, arched windows on the second floor, a bell-cast mansard roof with dormers and a massive clock tower strengthened by octagonal buttresses. Aside from its administrative function, the structure has also served as a meeting place for religious, social and commercial organizations. Little altered since erected, it continues today to be the most prominent landmark within the community.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PLAQUE #10


Location: Bayshore Park by the Legion Hall,
Albert St. & Wharfe St., Trenton

CHAMPLAIN'S WAR PARTY. 1615
In September, 1615, a small party of Frenchmen, commanded by Samuel de Champlain, and some five hundred Huron Indians passed down the Trent River on their way to attack the Iroquois who lived in what is now northern New York State. Joined by a band of Algonkians they skirted the eastern end of Lake Ontario and journeyed southward to a palisaded Onondaga village near the present site of Syracuse, N.Y. Champlain was wounded, the attack repulsed, and the discomfited allies returned to Huronia. This expedition increased the hostility of the Five Nations towards the French and their Indian supporters, which culminated in the defeat and dispersal of the Hurons, 1649-50.

Erected by the Ontario Archaeological and Historic Sites Board

PLAQUE #11


Location: South of Dundas St. & west of Front St. near
the Bay of Quinte Yacht Club, Belleville

BELLEVILLE
By 1790 the mill, tavern and stores established here near the Bay of Quinté had stimulated the growth of a settlement. Named "Belleville" in 1816, the village progressed steadily as a milling and shipping centre, and in 1834 the thriving community became a police village. The completion in 1856 of the Grand trunk Railway between Toronto and Montreal, a booming lumber trade, and the development of a fertile agricultural hinterland fostered significant commercial and industrial growth in Belleville, which had became a town in 1850. Following the discovery of gold near Madoc in 1866, Belleville was known as the "golden gate" of Hastings County, and after 1872 became a major Canadian marketing centre for cheese. In 1877 it was incorporated as a city.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Recreation

PLAQUE #12


Location: Station St., north of Church St. by the Moira River, Belleville

CAPTAIN JOHN W. MEYERS 1745 - 1821
Meyers gained fame as a loyalist spy during the American Revolution. He recruited soldiers, gathered intelligence, and carried dispatches through enemy lines for the British army in his native New York. Exploits such as his daring attempt to capture rebel General Philip Schuyler in 1781 made "Hans Waltermeyer" a legendary figure in the folklore of the times. After the war, Meyers moved north to British territory and bought this site for a grist mill in 1789. He traded furs, ran merchant vessels, and built a sawmill, distillery, fulling mill, and inn nearby. The surrounding community became the town of Belleville in 1816. Meyers was one of many loyalists whose defeat in war led to the beginnings of permanent settlement in what is now Ontario.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Communications

PLAQUE #13


Location: Between Co. Rd. 16 & Hwy. 2,
3 mile west of Deseronto and east of Hwy. 49

CHRIST CHURCH 1843
The Mohawks, allies of the British during the American Revolution, settled permanently in Canada following that conflict. A party led by Capt. John Deserontyon landed here in 1784 and constructed a chapel shortly thereafter. The church's historic Communion Plate is part of a gift presented to the Mohawks in 1712 by Queen Anne. In 1798 King George III gave to the chapel, which became known as a "Chapel Royal", a triptych, bell and Royal Coat-of-Arms. The first permanent chaplain, the Reverend Saltern Given, was appointed in 1831 and, during his incumbency, the present structure was built by the Mohawks in 1843. Although damaged by fire in 1906, Christ Church appears today essentially as originally constructed.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario

PLAQUE #14


Location: Christ Church, between Co. Rd. 16 & Hwy. 2,
3 mile west of Deseronto and east of Hwy. 49

ORONHYATEKHA 1841-1907
The renowned Mohawk chief, orator and physician is buried in this churchyard. Born on the Grand River Reservation, he attended the Universities of Toronto and Oxford. At the age of twenty he was selected by the Six Nations to present official greetings to the visiting Prince of Wales. In 1871 he was a member of Canada's first Wimbledon rifle team and in 1874 became President of the Grand Council of Canadian Chiefs. Oronhyatekha was largely responsible for the successful organization of the Independent Order of Foresters.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board

PLAQUE #15


Location: Cairn at Dundas & Front St., Belleville

    THIS MEMORIAL IS ERECTED TO COMMEMORATE THE 140th ANNIVERSARY OF THE LANDING OF THE UNITED EMPIRE LOYALISTS IN ONTARIO IN THE YEAR 1784 A.D. THE CORNER STONE WAS LAID ON THE 17th DAY OF JUNE AND THE MONUMENT UNVEILED ON THE 8th DAY OF SEPTEMBER 1924 A.D.

The next 2 plaques were sent in by Steve Ostrom

PLAQUE #16


Location: This plaque is located on Highway 62 in Eldorado,
tucked under an evergreen tree on the corner of a private property

ONTARIO'S FIRST GOLD MINE
In August, 1866, Marcus Herbert Powell, Clerk of the Division Court and part-time prospector, struck gold nearby on the farm of John Richardson. The following year Ontario's first gold mine went into production on that site and the community of Eldorado was founded. The Richardson Mine proved unprofitable and soon ceased operation, but its discovery caused a substantial gold rush to the surrounding region. A number of small gold mines were subsequently established in southeastern Ontario, including the Deloro, Gilmour, Cordova, Feigle, Bannockburn and Golden Fleece. Owing to decreasing ore values, wasteful recovery methods and shortage of capital, most of these mines were abandoned after a few years of operation.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario

PLAQUE #17


Location: This plaque is located on the O'Hara Mill Conservation area. The O'Hara Mill Museum is located here as well. This area is about 5 kms west of Madoc, and located on the Mill road. Mill Road is parallel to Highway 7 and about 2 km north.

THE O'HARA SAWMILL
The O'hara sawmill was in commercial operation from 1850 to 1908. The sawmill used an upright gate or frame saw. This technology superseded the two-man pitsaw, thus saving the early settlers many hours of toll and increasing the production of sawn timber for both local use and export to the United States.

THIS PLAQUE WAS ERECTED BY THE MOIRA RIVER CONSERVATION AUTHORITY WITH THE ASSISTANCE OF THE ONTARIO MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND COMMUNICATIONS

The next 6 plaques were sent in by Mike Blamire

PLAQUE #18


Location: Corby Park, Belleville

CORBY PARK
Donated to the City of Belleville by the Corby family, July 24, 1905. Renovated by the City of Belleville and H. Corby Distillery Limited and re-opened as part of Canadian Centennial Year on the 28th of June, 1967.

HISTORY

Henry Corby, the founder of H. Corby Distillery Limited, came to Belleville from England in 1832. Throughout his life he actively promoted this growing municipality, and was, in the Confederation year 1867, the Mayor of Belleville. The following year, he was a member of the first Ontario Legislature to sit following Confederation. His son, Henry (Harry) Corby, expanded the family business, and participated in numerous activities benefiting Belleville and the community at large. These included:
- donation of Corby Public Library,
- donation of public baths and pavilion at Victoria Park,
- development of pleasure park at Massassaga Point,
- establishment of Corby Charitable Fund for the Poor and Needy - still administered by the Women's Christian Association,
- promotion of the original bridge across the Bay of Quinte,
- donation of Corby Park.
Henry Corby, Jr. was appointed a senator in 1888 in recognition of his role in Canadian life, typified by this Centenniel park.


PLAQUE #19


Location: Glanmore Historic Site, 275 Bridge St. E, Belleville

GLANMORE
Built about 1882 for J.P.C. Phillips, a wealthy Belleville banker, this imposing house was designed by the Montréal architect Thomas Hanley. He drew his inspiration from the elaborate Châteaux of 18th century France. The opulence of its exterior style carries over into the interior in a profusion of ornate mouldings and decoration. The house, long in the hands of the family of the first owner, remains relatively unchanged and reflects the tastes of a typical man of property in late 19th century Canada.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #20


Location: Thomas Thompson Memorial Park, (Cenotaph Park),
St. Lawrence St. E., Madoc

THE FOUNDING OF MADOC
Mills constructed about 1832 by Donald MacKenzie, a Belleville merchant, and the ironworks erected by American entrepreneurs Uriah Seymour and John Pendergast, formed the nucleus of a settlement here on Deer Creek. A post-office, Madoc, was established in 1836, and the hamlet grew gradually, stimulated by lumbering, farming, and the opening of the Hastings Colonization Road (1854), which ran north from Madoc Township. Following the nearby discovery of goldbearing quartz in 1866, it became a bustling centre, which by 1868 contained about 1000 inhabitants and numerous industries, including a rock crushing mill. The boom declined after 1870, but the community continued to prosper from its agricultural and commercial activities. Madoc was incorporated as a Village by a County by-law of 1877.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Recreation

PLAQUE #21


Location: Thomas Thompson Memorial Park, (Cenotaph Park),
St. Lawrence St. E., Madoc

JOHN WEIR FOOTE, V.C. 1904-1988
The only chaplain in World War II to receive the Victoria Cross, Foote was born and raised in Madoc. He entered the Presbyterian ministry in 1934 and enlisted in the Canadian Chaplain Service five years later. Assigned to the Royal Hamilton Light Infantry, Foote distinguished himself during the ill-fated Dieppe Raid on August 19, 1942. Acting "with utter disregard for his personal safety", he ministered to the wounded and carried injured personnel from exposed positions on the beach to first aid posts and landing craft, all while under heavy enemy fire. Ultimately he was taken prisoner because he refused to abandon those who could not be evacuated. For his courageous actions he was awarded the Victoria Cross, the British commonwealth's highest military decoration for valour.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Communication

PLAQUE #22


Location: The Legion Park, just north of Hwy. 7,
at the west end of Marmora

IN HONOUR OF

HAROLD COLEMAN RICKABY 1890-1975

Deputy Minister of the Ontario Department of Mines for twenty-two years, "Rick" Rickaby was respected for his contributions to science and to the mining industry. Awarded the Croix de Guerre by France in the First World War, he returned to the University of Toronto, where he obtained his B.A. in 1922 and M.A. in 1923. He joined the Department of Mines as a geologist in 1927, became Provincial Geologist in 1934, and was appointed Deputy Minister in 1938. For his contributions to science he was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Canada in 1936. He was largely responsible for first government airborne magnetic survey in Ontario (1949), which led directly to the discovery of the Marmoraton Iron Mine 120 feet under the surface near Marmora.

Erected by and in co-operation with the Ministry of Natural Resources, Marmoraton Mines Company, and the Village of Marmora

PLAQUE #23


Location: The Legion Park, just north of Hwy. 7, at the west end of Marmora

MAMORA'S WOLF STATION
Built in 1884, this Station stood for nearly 100 years on the line of the Central Ontario Railway at a spot two miles east of town. The station was named for a man murdered near its original site. After the line was abandoned, the Station was moved here as a reminder of a bygone era when Villagers could hear the whistles of more than 24 trains every day. Near this location a spur line ran north to the lumber mills at Marmora Dam and on to the Cordova Gold Mines. In 1923 this little line had as its president, Sir Henry Worth Thornton who was to be the first president of the C.N.R.

Marmora Historical Foundation

The next 3 plaquew were sent in by Steve Ostrom

PLAQUE #24


Location: 1/2 km N. from H-way 7 in Marmora. It is in a park beyond the small park
at the road, and quite close to the river. One can walk from the parking lot at the Wolf Station tourism centre, or drive through Marmora

MARMORA IRON WORKS 1823
In 1821 an Irish immigrant, Charles Hayes, began building here one of the provinces earliest smelters and foundaries, which by June, 1823, was ready to produce pig iron from ore mined near present-day Blairton. Economic difficulties and transport problems soon ended Hayes venture, but his principal creditor, the Hon. Peter McGill, continued operating it until 1826. In 1837 the government rejected a proposal to use convict labour for the works. Joseph Van Norman's attempt in 1848 to revive the enterprise was frustrated by cheaper British iron brought up the newly-completed St. Lawrence canal system. The works fell into ruin although mining was resumed, 1866 - 1873, the ore being shipped to Cleveland and Pittsburgh for smelting.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board
Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario

PLAQUE #25


Location: This wooden marker is located well back from the Crowe river, a bit
more than 1/2 km N. from H-way 7. This is on one of the village roads.

HISTORIC PEARCE MILL

C. 1870

These ruins are the footprint of the main buildings of the Pearce Company, whose mills and yards covered this ledge right down to the Crowe River. For over fifty years, logs were driven downstream to feed the waterpowered saws of the Pearce Mills. The thriving family business was also based on a woolen mill, retail stores and even Marmora's first hydro electric plant, powered by the waters of the Crowe River.

PLAQUE #26


Location: This wooden plaque is located about 1/2 km north of H-way 7,
on the west bank of the Crowe River. It is located in the woods between the
entrance road to the Conservation area and the riverbank.

THE RIVERSIDE CHEESE
FACTORY
The Riverside Cheese Factory was built on this site during the 1890's. Although only a two man operation, production was in excess of 800 pounds per day. Only cheddar cheese was made.

The cheese factory was torn down when it became economically unfeasible to continue operations.


The next plaque was sent in by Marty Bootsman

PLAQUE #27


Location: at the Public Library in the village of Maynooth

THE PETERSON ROAD
The Peterson Road was named after Joseph S. Peterson, the surveyor who determined its route in this region. Constructed 1858-1863 at a cost of some $39,000 it stretched about 114 miles between the Muskoka and Opeongo Roads and formed part of a system of government colonization routes built to open up the southern region of the Precambrian Shield. Poor soil disappointed hopes of a large-scale agricultural settlement along this road both on government "free-grant" lots and on the lands of the Canadian Land and Immigration Company. Though portions of the route were overgrown by the 1870's, the Maynooth-Combermere section aided lumbering and now contributes to the development of an important Ontario vacation area.

Erected by the Archeological and Historic Sites Board,
Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario

The next plaque was sent in by Verna May Burness

PLAQUE #28


Location: Lookout Park, H-Way 62 at Whiteduck Lake just east of Purdy

JOHN WESLEY DAFOE 1866 - 1944
Born in Bangor Township, Dafoe began his career with the 'Montreal Daily Star' in 1883. Two years later he became editor of the 'Ottawa Evening Journal' following which he served on the 'Manitoba (later Winnipeg) Free Press'. 1886-92. Returning to Montreal he worked on the 'Daily Herald' and 'Star". In 1901 he rejoined the Winnipeg paper remaining its editor until 1944. A crusading journalist, he championed Dominion status, the League of Nations and the welfare of the Canadian West and was a founder of the Canadian Institute of International Affairs. He took part in the Paris Peace Conference, 1919; the Imperial Conference, 1923; and served on the Royal Commission on Dominion-Provincial Relations 1937-40.

Ontario Heritage Foundation

The following plaque was sent in by the McRae Family;
Tom, Cathy, Sarah, Daniel, Matthew, Alexander and Nick

PLAQUE #29


Location: in front of the Tweed Playhouse, Jamieson and Colborne Streets, Tweed

MERRILL DENISON 1893-1975
A prolific and accomplished playwright, Denison was born in Detroit and raised in Ontario. In 1921, after pursuing studies in architecture, he became Art Director of Hart House Theatre, Toronto. Denison soon began to write comedies, some of which were conceived at his summer home in Bon Echo and performed in this playhouse. As author of "The Romance of Canada", a highly successful series of historical plays broadcast in 1931-32, he received wide acclaim as a pioneer in radio drama. During the following decades he devoted his energies to this field, preparing numerous plays for broadcast in the United States. Increasingly interested in business history, Denison wrote several popular histories of Canadian corporations, including Harvest Triumphant: the Story of Massey-Harris, during the 1950s and 60s.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PLAQUE #30


Location: At the Bancroft Historical Museum, Station St., Bancroft

THE MONCK ROAD
This road was constructed for the dual purpose of opening up a wilderness area to settlement and providing an alternative, less vulnerable military route between the upper Great Lakes and the Ottawa Valley. Its line from the vicinity of Lake Couchiching to the junction of the Hastings and Mississippi Colonization Roads at the hamlet of York River (now Bancroft), was surveyed in 1864-65 at the time of the American Civil War. Named in honour of the Governor General (1861-68), Lord Monck, construction was begun in 1866 and completed in 1873. Free grants of land along its route were made to persons fulfilling the required settlement duties.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario

PLAQUE #31


Location: Sidney Baptist Church, Baptist Church Rd. and Bird Rd.
(formerly the 8th conncession), H-way #14, near Stirling

ASA TURNER
One of the first Baptist missionaries to serve the scattered communities along the north shore of Lake Ontario, Turner came to Upper Canada from New York State and settled in this vicinity by 1798. With great dedication he ministered to the residents of Thurlow and Sidney Townships, conducting services in pioneer homes and organizing several congregations including the forerunner of this parish. In 1802 Turner and two other American missionaries, Reuben Crandall and Joseph Winn, formed the Thurlow Baptist Association, the first Baptist association in the province. Until his return to the United States nine years later, Turner worked with Crandall and Winn to ensure the growth of this association, thereby assisting in establishing a permanent organizational framework for the Baptist Church in eastern Ontario.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Citizenship and Culture

PLAQUE #32


Location: On the south side of Main Street (County Road 2)
at the far west end of town, Deseronto

CAPTAIN GEORGE FRASER KERR, V.C. M.C., M.M.
1895 - 1929
Born at Deseronto, Kerr attended schools here and in Toronto. With the outbreak of the First World War he enlisted on September 22, 1914 with the 3rd Battalion, Canadian Expeditionary Force and arrived in France the following February. He won the Military Medal at Mount Sorrel on June 13, 1916, the Military Cross at Amiens on August 18, 1918, and a Bar to the latter award at Queant later that summer. The Victoria Cross, the British Empires highest decoration for valour, was awarded to Kerr for his exemplary daring and leadership at Bourlon Wood on September 27, 1918. He outflanked a machine-gun position and later far in advance of his troops, he rushed a strong point and, single handed, captured four machine-guns and thirty-one prisoners.

Ontario Heritage Foundation, an agency of the Government of Ontario

PLAQUE #33


Location: On the south side of Main Street (County Road 2)
at the far west end of town, Deseronto

THE FOUNDING OF DESERONTO
Led by Deserontyon (Captain John), a group of Mohawks, supporters of the British during the American Revolution, in 1784 became this area's first settlers. Lands to the east of the Mohawks' reserve were patented by John Culbertson in 1837. He began selling village lots in his tract in 1840, Culbertson registered a survey for a village, "Deseronca", in 1850, although the settlement was called "Mill Point" 1850-81. After 1855 Hugo B. Rathbun acquired many village properties and built one of the province's earliest "company towns" here to house employees of his shipyard and sawmill. A county by-law of 1871 provided for the incorporation of Mill Point as a Village. It was renamed "Deseronto" in 1881, and became a Town in 1889.

Erected by the Archaeological and Historic Sites Board,
Department of Public Records and Archives of Ontario

PLAQUE #34


Location: In Actinolite on the grounds of a church at the south end
of the village just east of Highway 37, Tweed

THE FOUNDING OF ACTINOLITE
In 1853 Billa Flint (1805-94) a lumberman, member of the legislative assembly and later of the senate, built sawmills here on the Skootamatta River. A village, at first named Troy but soon renamed Bridgewater, was laid out the same year. Extensive marble deposits were subsequently discovered here and this church, erected 1864-66 is believed to be the only one in Canada constructed of that material. The first resident minister's son, the eminent gynaecological surgeon, Thomas Stephen Cullen (1868-1953) was born in the adjacent parsonage. In 1883 the mining of actinolite, a mineral used in the manufacture of roofing material was began nearby, and about 1895 the village received its present name.

Archaeological and Historic Sites Board of Ontario

PLAQUE #35


Location: In a parkette on the east side of Victoria St. (H-way 37)
south of the traffic light, Tweed

THE FOUNDING OF TWEED
During the 1830s a settlement, initially called Munroe's Mills and later Hungerford Mills, developed here on the Moira River. In 1850, when its population had reached approximately 100, it was surveyed in renamed Tweed by prominent millowner, James Jamieson. The community grew steadily during the mid-19th century with the development of lumbering and mining in the area. Later, as agriculture assumed greater importance, it became a service centre for local farmers. By 1891, when it merged with neighbouring Georgetown and was incorporated as a village, Tweed was served by two railways and had several small factories, numerous businesses and over 750 residents. In 1967, after decades of modest growth, the community gained widespread attention as the site of Canada's first all-woman municipal council.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Communications

The next plaque was sent in by Janet Bush (great grand-niece of Sir Mackenzie Bowell)

PLAQUE #36

Location: It is on the face of a cairn in Belleville, Ontario (in a small parkette near the marina, Front St. and St. Paul St.

SIR MACKENZIE BOWELL
1823-1917
Born in England, Bowell represented North Hastings in the Canadian Parliament from 1867 to 1892. Thereafter, he held a seat in the Senate until his resignation from politics in 1906. Having served in the Cabinets of Macdonald, Abbott, and Thompson, he became Prime Minister in 1894. Past Grand Master of the Orange Lodge in North America, he nevertheless proposed to the commons in 1896, remedial action that would settle the Manitoba schools problem. In that same year, division within his Cabinet and disenchantment with his leadership forced his resignation. He died in Belleville.

Journaliste et homme politique nê en Angleterre, Bowell reprêsenta la circonscription de North Hastings (Ontario) au parlement canadian de 1867 à 1892. Il siêgea ensuite au Sênat jusqu'en 1906. Il fit partie des Cabinets de Macdonald, Abbott, Thompson et devint premier ministre en 1894. Ancien grand-maitre des loges orangistes d'Amêrique, il fit nêanmoins prêsenter aux Communes, en 1896, un projet de loi rêmêdiatrice pour rêgler le problème scolaire manitobain. La même annêe, des divisions au sein de son parti le forcèrent à démissionner. Il est décédé à Belleville.


Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #37

Location: Canadian Forces Base Trenton, south of Dundas St. E. at the traffic lights
at Anson Ave. in a small parkette between Yukon and Oxford Sts., Trenton

BRITISH COMMONWEALTH
AIR TRAINING PLAN
Created as a result of an agreement signed by the United Kingdom and Canada on 17 December, 1939 this Plan was one of Canada's most important contributions to the Allied war effort in World War II. Over 130,000 airmen from the forces of the Commonwealth and other countries, including pilots, navigators, bomb aimers, wireless operators and gunners, trained at schools established across Canada. Many of the instructors who were the mainstay of the Plan came from the Trenton base. Airfields built for the Plan became part of Canada's postwar aviation network.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #38

Location: VIA Railway Station at 220 Station Street, Belleville

GRAND TRUNK RAILWAY
BELLEVILLE
The Grand Trunk was incorporated in 1853 to run from Sarnia to Portland, Maine. Although it took over existing lines, new ones had to be built, including sections of the key Toronto to Montréal line completed by the noted English engineering firm of Peto, Brassey, Jackson and Betts in 1856. The Belleville station, built about 1856, is representative of the larger stations erected by this firm for the Grand Trunk Railway. Although its design was influenced by English railway stations, it is an enduring monument to early Canadian railway enterprise.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #39

Location: On the northeast corner of Road 620 and Old Hastings Road 3.6 km west of Highway 62, Ormsby

THE HASTINGS ROAD
This road was begun in 1854 as part of a network of "Colonization Roads" planned by the government to open the southern fringe of the Precambrian Shield to settlement. Under the supervision of Robert Bird, construction began at the northern boundary of Madoc Township and within a year 65 km of summer road had been built northward to a point near present-day Bancroft. The road, when completed, was about 160 km in length. The free-grant lots along its course were quickly taken up but poor soil prevented the development of a prosperous agriculture settlement. When the decline of lumbering in the region removed a market for produce and a source of employment, the settlers abandoned their farms and the road fell into disuse.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Recreation

PLAQUE #40

Location: 40 Victoria St. North on the grounds of the Tweed and Area Heritage Centre, Tweed

THE HUNGERFORD SMALLPOX EPIDEMIC OF 1884
The viral disease of smallpox - widespread in 19th century Ontario - flared up in a severe epidemic in Hungerford Township in 1884. The outbreak claimed at least 45 lives in 202 reported cases and disrupted economic activity and family life for many more. Local efforts by municipal authorities and private physicians were initially unable to halt the disease, and its wider spread throughout the province seemed likely. The newly established Provincial Board of Health and its hired officers swiftly undertook fumigation, enforced isolation and mass vaccination. The disease was contained, proving the value of public health measures applied consistently under coordinated direction. The Hungerford experience demonstrated the importance of quality vaccine, reliable supplies and skilled vaccinators. The Board's actions in 1884 transformed Ontario's approach to disease control when over 400 local boards of health were formed to assist in the delivery of essential medical services. As a result, Ontario earned an international reputation as an aggressive and innovative public health advocate during the mid-1880s.

Ontario Heritage Trust, an agency of the Government of Ontario

PLAQUE #41

Location: On South Church Lane at street #52 1.5 km from Highway 49 via east on Bayshore Road (Road 16)
then north on South Church Lane, Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory

ORONHYATEKHA
(PETER MARTIN)
(1841-1907)
A distinguished philanthropist, Oronhyatekha transformed the Independent Order of Foresters (IOF) into a successful fraternal organization which saw to the well-being of its members and came to the aid of many people in need. A Mohawk born at Six Nations, he began his career in teaching and continued in medicine, becoming in 1867 the first accredited Aboriginal medical doctor to practice in Canada. Peter Martin maintained his principal residence at Tyendinaga and, from here, tirelessly devoted his efforts to building the IOF into a financially strong international organization.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #42

Location: On South Church Lane at street #52 1.5 km from Highway 49 via east on Bayshore Road (Road 16)
then north on South Church Lane, Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory

CHRIST CHURCH, HER
MAJESTY'S CHAPEL ROYAL
OF THE MOHAWK
This handsome church attests to the remarkable historic alliance of the Mohawk people with the Crown. Loyal Mohawks, who sacrificed much in their support of the British cause, came here after the American Revolution. They built a log church nearby, which Christ Church replaced in 1843. Royal gifts over the years have honoured this extraordinary relationship and in 1904 King Edward VII conferred the title, "His Majesty's Chapel". This Gothic Revival church was severely damaged by fire in 1906. Restored at Mohawk expense, the chapel stands today as a symbol of their enduring regard for the Crown.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #43

Location: On the north side of Vermilyea Rd. at street number 654 4 km from Highway 401 Exit 538
via north on Loyalist-Wallbridge Road (Road 1) then east on Vermilyea Rd. (Road 31), Quinte West

STONE CHURCH HASTINGS
Stone Church, one of three known cobblestone churches in Ontario, is part of a small group of cobblestone buildings in this area. It was built in 1853-6 on land belonging to John Fretz to house the local Wesleyan Methodist congregation. Although the church's interior was remodelled in 1893 in the then popular Italianate style and altered again in 1927, its exterior remains largely intact. This simple design, characteristic of the denomination's architecture in the mid-nineteenth century, relies upon the textured cobblestone surface and the dressed stones at the corners of the walls as well as the harmonious arrangement of the various arched openings. The building served as a place of worship until 1968 when its parishioners moved to other neighbouring United Church congregations.

Erected by the Ontario Heritage Foundation,
Ministry of Culture and Recreation

PLAQUE #44

Location: In front of Susanna Moodie Cottage at 114 Bridge Street West
at Sinclair Street, Belleville

SUSANNA MOODIE
1803-1885
Born in England, Mrs. Moodie immigrated to Upper Canada with her husband in 1832. They farmed near Cobourg for two years then moved to the wooded Rice Lake area near the frontier of the colony before settling in the more urban environment of Belleville in 1840. Member of a noted literary family, she became a leading author of the pre-Confederation period and her poems and short stories appeared in journals in Canada and England. Her two autobiographical books, Roughing it in the Bush, (1852) and Life in the Clearings (1853), have become Canadian classics.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

PLAQUE #45

Location: On the front wall of the Hastings Heritage Centre at 154 Cannifton Road North,
north of Highway 401, Belleville

WILLIAM CANNIFF
1830-1910
Born at Thurlow, Upper Canada, and educated in medicine, Canniff served as Medical Officer with the Royal Artillery during the Crimean War. Returning to practice in Belleville and Toronto, he became professor at the University of Victoria College, sub-dean of the Toronto Medical School, and later Toronto's first Medical Health Officer (1883-91). A member of the Canada First Movement, he was deeply interested in the promotion of colonization of the North West. His writings include contributions to medical literature as well as the useful History of the Early Settlement of Upper Canada. He died at Belleville.

Historic Sites and Monuments Board of Canada
Commission des lieux et monuments historiques du Canada

COUNTY PAGE

PLAQUE INDEX

HOME PAGE